How difficult is it to get 2 over-ripe bananas? I have always thought that its no big deal because there is always a poor old banana, lying unwanted, unloved in some corner of our kitchens! With this in mind, last weekend, when I spotted two such miserable souls, I announced to my brood that I was intending to make some banana muffins…..and hey presto, they vanished!!!! My brood thought that they had to eat just those blotchy, soft bananas that morning because it was the end of the world!!!!! Hence, i had to wait a full week ( and hide 2 bananas too 😉 to make this batch, inspired by Sherin’s superb blog.
Anyway, as it often occurs in my culinary travails, my first batch got charred ( thanks to Varun’s warm snuggle 🙂 ) and I had to put the leftover batter to use. The result was amazing, superset, moist, melt in the mouth cake. Do give it a try and share your photos too…
RECIPE: ( I hate measuring stuff because I am too lazy to look for all scales etc etc hence am putting my approximate measurements too )
2 unloved, over-ripe large bananas, mashed
Sultanas -100 gms ( around a big fistful ) , soaked in 1/4th cup hot tea water ( dip a teabag into boiling water and squeeze it out )
Plain flour 175 gms ( 1/3rd teacup); baking pd 2 tsp; soda bicarb 1/2 tsp; salt 1/2 tsp
Butter 125 gms ( half a slab ), Castor sugar 150 gms ( 1/3rd cup or more ); eggs 2 ; vanilla extract 1tsp
1.Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
2. Mix/ plain flour, soda, baking pod and salt together.
3. In another bowl, melt butter in the microwave; add sugar, mix well; add eggs one at a time, mix well.
4. Mix flour int he egg-sugar mixture, fold well, add mashed bananas and sultanas.
5. Bake till done ( but be careful, don’t let it burn like I did ).
6. Serve hot, straight from the oven….You are guaranteed a special twinkle and a hug, like I got 🙂 …. In fact, Rhea even took pictures for me and added her own touches to the images !