My brood has a soft spot for sweet potatoes. It fades a bit when it comes to chick peas and it disappears completely for red lentils. Since years, I have had to find to ways to mask lentils in their food. This wholesome heart warming dish does exactly that and is a hit with them, thanks to their creamy, slightly sweet flavour and smooth consistency.
500 gms sweet potatoes,
1 can chick peas
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger , chopped
1 cup dried red lentils
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
chilli flakes, coriander leaves, ginger juliennes for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add chopped onions and ginger. Stir till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, half can of chick peas and red lentils.
- Add vegetable or chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Add cumin ,coriander powder and lemon juice. Cook till potatoes are soft.
- Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add rest of chick peas.
- Garnish with chilli flakes and ginger juliennes.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaves.